The
first few days in Johannesburg were a whirlwind of jetlag, spider scares and a
constant need for stronger Wi-Fi. I, personally didn’t come into Johannesburg
with any expectations for the space. I’ve done my fair share of traveling
throughout my time at Northeastern and I realized I learn more from the places I
visit when I just walk around without a plan. Arriving in Melville, a suburb of
Johannesburg, I was struck by the frequency of high walls and barbed wire. I questioned my safety, thinking that this neighborhood
must require the exorbitant security details to protect themselves.
Yet,
when we learned about crime rates in the area and visited other, poorer city
neighborhoods, this theory did not stand. I saw this clearly when we visited
Alexandra, one of the poorest townships of Johannesburg. Doors were almost
always open with inhabitants crowding doorsteps and street corners. Cars still
had keys in the ignition and businesses lacked protective systems. There was
this sense of trust that I haven’t seen anywhere else. I can’t find the words
in English to describe this phenomenon, but luckily isiZulu has the perfect
word: Ubuntu. Ubuntu means humanness and is used throughout the township to
describe the community cohesion in these spaces. Ubuntu is why everyone greets
you with a “Sawubona!” genuinely
wanting to say hello and know how you are. We don’t get that kind of welcome in
Boston.
I
turned to political theory to see if I could rationalize the stark contrast
between these two areas. How I would love to be the CEO of ADT, considering how
much business in Melville alone. Both Alex and Melville illustrate the security
dilemma. Usually discussed on the international level regarding arm
development, the theory is about the adoption of security features relative to
neighbors. If Germany doubles the size of their military, France will be sure
to add the equivalent militarization. If my neighbor builds a wall around his
or her house, I build a wall to ensure my house is as secure and not more of a
target for robbers. I then add barbed wire to increase my relative security. My
neighbor adds barbed wire and cameras – it goes on and on until you get
prison-level security on million rand houses.
Alexandra,
despite having significantly less security measures, made me feel much more
welcome and comfortable than Melville. The security dilemma explains this in
part – with the significantly lower economic status of Alex, it makes sense
that security remains at the minimum. Despite the cheesiness, I, personally,
think it comes down to Ubuntu. The want and need for community support and
family above all material possessions. I am certain that if I were to go back
to Alex years from now, I will be greeted with the same level of warmth and generosity,
without knowing a single person. To protect togetherness and humanness and Ubuntu - build porches not walls.
Hannah Sattler
Comments
Post a Comment