Two weeks ago I waved goodbye to my family at the Boston Logan Airport and set for Johannesburg, South Africa with twenty - four fellow students from Northeastern University. Now, we are leaving from O.R Tambo International Airport to catch our flight to Cape Town. In reflecting on our experience in Johannesburg, I can confidently say it was filled with rich cultural experiences, great conversations with locals, and many visits to unique places which allowed insight and perspective to different social issues within the city.
One of our first excursions in Johannesburg was visiting Kliptown, a former black township located in Soweto in Gauteng. While crossing the bridge from Freedom Square where we had gone first to Kliptown, I saw the bustle of people, unique shacks and homes all different from the next, and their roofs - some littered with old bed frames and old car parts, others patched and held together with mismatched materials.
This space was different than anything I had seen before, both in my lifetime and what I had seen during our time in Africa already. The crumbling walls, remaining barbed wire, and the pollution was striking. From the reading by Pranill Ramchander, I held onto the idea that the townships are reflections of both past and present human experience. Initially, while walking through this space, I was focusing more on the negatives, but reminded myself it was also about taking into consideration history and how far Kliptown has come as a community. There had been major developments, and I think that’s something to celebrate.
Another thing I loved about Johannesburg was the kindness of the locals, and their willingness to offer us information about the city’s history or just places to go to get the best South African cuisine. One night, while out with friends for dinner, a man named Chile approached us as we were sitting at a table and offered us a warm welcome to South Africa and bought us all a local drink called Springbok. He had genuine interest in where we were from and what we were studying during our stay. This small interaction speaks for many of the people I encountered during my time in Johannesburg. Whether it was a simple “hello” on the street, or talking to someone more in depth, the people I met in and their compassion was something I will forever remember.
Throughout our stay, I was lucky enough to talk to several speakers that offered a collection of resources and information about different topics and points of concern in Johannesburg. Speakers offered us a context of the city we were in, information about different housing styles we would see during our tours, and insight to some of the issues South Africa is facing today even after the fall of the apartheid regime.
From walking tours to game drives, and amazing speakers to the musicians at the Orbit Jazz Club, I will forever remember Johannesburg as being one of the most warm places I have ever been. I am excited to have new experiences and adventures in Cape Town, but will hold onto the times and memories from Johannesburg.
Kylie Schreck

Comments
Post a Comment