More Chakalaka, Please! by Rachel Domond

When traveling to a foreign place, it can become quite easy to feel stuck on the outside

of a culture that differs largely from the cultures you are personally familiar with. It may feel as

if you are observing people and their interactions from behind a glass wall, restricting you from

meaningfully engaging in any way. Although I somewhat anticipated experiencing near-instant

comfort in the Motherland of Africa, upon arrival I struggled to reconcile the underlying power

dynamics I felt as a privileged student from the United States on a study abroad program. I was

unsure of how to insert myself into certain social situations in a way that was mutually

beneficial to myself and those who I interacted with. Even now, I cannot confidently say that I

am completely comfortable doing so or completely understand how, but I can say that various

excursions thus far have allowed me to immerse myself in meaningful ways that have left the

greatest impacts on my learning and South African experience.


No matter where you go, food is an essential piece of the overall culture. This was

extremely evident when we participated in “Dine with Khayelitsha,” in which we ate dinner in

the home of a family in Khayelitsha. Khayelitsha is a township located in Cape Town, on the

outskirts of the central business district, to which Black people were exiled under the apartheid

regime. There are many negative connotations around townships like Khayelitsha, as they are

assumed to be run-down slums stricken by crime, drugs, and poverty. The Dine with Khayelitsha

program essentially works to deconstruct the preconceived notions that people have about the

township by inviting “outsiders” in, giving tours of the neighborhood, and engaging in great

conversations over a traditional dinner. An experience such as this is one that cannot be

replicated, which is exactly why it is such a significant one. Dine with Khayelitsha gave me more

than a typical tourist encounter, but a real person-to- person interaction in which I was no

longer speculating from the outside.


As the other four students and I sat down in the living room of our friend Luthando’s

family’s home, we were greeted by bright and shining smiles. Mholweni unjani! (meaning hi,

how are you) to which one would respond ndiyaphila! (I’m alive!) We engaged in conversation

and shared many laughs and stories in the short time we were there, before very large pots of

food were put on the table in front of us. The covers were removed and we were invited to

steaming pots of pap, chakalaka, and meat, a typical South African meal that is often recycled

through different meals over the days following the cooking. (For those unfamiliar, pap is a

thick cornmeal base starch, similar to a combination of grits and mashed potatoes, and

chakalaka is a spicy vegetable mix, which often contains beans, carrots, onion, and other

vegetables.) They are typically served together on big trays from which everyone eats and

shares, though at dinner in Khayelitsha, we ate from separate plates. This was not our first

interaction with pap and chakalaka, but it was definitely the best – possibly a distinction

facilitated by the great conversation that accompanied it.

Pap (white) and chakalaka (dark orange on the left). Taken at a meal in Soweto, another township.


Food and conversation can serve as substantial catalysts for inclusivity within spaces. I

find it extremely compelling how, through which, the residents of Khayelitsha willingly opened

their homes, broke down barriers, and allowed those from the outside, in. We engaged in

conversations of all sorts, and ultimately came to see each other simply as humans, rather than

anything else. And what’s most significant to me is that above all of the exclusion that the

residents of Khayelitsha have faced, they remain willing to open their arms and welcome

people into their lives. Through the food and conversation, they enabled me to participate in a

way and gauge an insight I wouldn’t otherwise have experienced simply by viewing. In

Khayelitsha, I no longer felt I was standing on the outside, observing through a glass wall.

Us, sharing a meal of pap and chakalaka, traditional-style, in Soweto!

Comments