I wouldn’t say anyone enjoys running, except for maybe
professionals. I like running (sometimes) particularly because it is one of the
only forms of exercise you can do anywhere. Something else you should know
about me, I am a horrible motivator. So, to make sure I would run in
South Africa, I signed up for a marathon, as one does.
My marathon training plan began in
Cape Town – and boy did I pick a great place to run. Our hotel is located in
Sea Point, right on the water. The Sea Point Promenade includes 3 miles of sun,
ocean, mountain views, more mountain views and, of course, all the dogs. How am
I supposed to keep running when 6 St. Bernards are play-wrestling right in
front of me??
![]() |
| Sunrise run featuring a Sea Point corgi |
I got to know Sea Point pretty well from these runs. Eventually, my runs got longer and I had to branch out to the surrounding towns. That is how I encountered Clifton. Located just south of Sea Point, Clifton is bordered by Signal Hill, Lion’s Head (the west peak of Table Mountain) and, of course, the ocean. On this cloudy day, the mountains were straight out of a Harry Potter scene and, after climbing up some steep hills, I took a much needed picture break.
![]() |
| Southwestern side of Table Mountain |
![]() |
| Lion’s Head, just peaking through the clouds |
Right after taking these pictures, I
entered the residential area of Clifton. At first, I thought I was going in
circles because every house looked the same. Four story mansions towering over
the sea with parking pads, glass windows, outdoor pools and private security
guards. They all looked the identical: expensive and jaw-dropping. Even the air
seemed exclusive; I felt I would be stopped because I looked like I didn’t belong.
Some 4 hours before setting out on
this run, our group walked through Blikkesdorp, a temporary relocation area
near the airport. Although we have visited many informal settlements and lower
income areas while in South Africa, never in my life have I come face-to-face
with the level of poverty I witnessed in Blikkesdorp. In less than an hour, one
can go from one of the wealthiest neighborhoods to one of the poorest: welcome
to Cape Town.
On a dialogue, it feels like you’re
in class 24/7, always learning and looking out for the trends and social forces
discussed in lectures and site visits. I am constantly thinking about space:
where I fit into the space, how the space was designed, inclusion, exclusion,
etc. Looking at a map of Cape Town, one can see the ingrained spatial apartheid
practices. Many workers in the city center and surrounding wealthy
neighborhoods live some 30 miles away in townships. Table Mountain acts almost
like a buffer to keep the wealth in and the poverty out. Granted, democracy
arrived 21 years ago, but we saw much more inclusionary practices in
Johannesburg.
Our time in South Africa is coming
to an end, and I cannot seem to process my thoughts on Cape Town. This
multifaceted city has a lot of positives that hide a lot of negatives. Running
is usually my way to clear my mind and unwind. In this city, however, there are
new lessons in every mile.
- Hannah Sattler



Comments
Post a Comment