Kliptown’s Strong Sense of Community by Scott Storte

The date is Monday, May 22, and today, our group visited an informal settlement in Soweto known as Kliptown. Prior to this experience, I can’t say I had a lot of expectations going into Kliptown. Our tour guide and friend, Sibusiso, had briefly taught us about Kliptown and the environment in which its residents live in, but I wasn’t very knowledgeable on the settlement as a whole. However, the second I stepped foot into Kliptown, I was immediately blown away and inspired by one aspect of life in Kliptown: it’s powerful sense of community.

Travelling has always been one of my favorite hobbies because I genuinely enjoy meeting new people from different places and having the privilege to hear their life stories. While I’ve been greeted by nice people in every country I’ve travelled to, no city’s level of hospitality and community compares to that of Kliptown’s. When walking through the streets of Kliptown, I was astonished at the amount of residents who either said hello or waved to me from afar.

In the United States, in my opinion, it’s very rare to have such a genuinely friendly encounter with a person whom you’ve never met before. When walking down the streets of a big city such as New York or Boston, most people are either in a rush or prefer to keep to themselves, so rather than receiving a friendly greeting, most people will either look away or scroll on their phones as they walk past you. In Kliptown, however, it’s the polar opposite. People of all ages, from toddlers to elders, make it evidently known that they are happy to have you there in their presence.

Kliptown has a very close-knit population which is proven through not only their close community, but also through the close proximity of the houses present within the township. All of the houses in Kliptown are very close together spatially, allowing the residents to have a very intimate living experience further fostering a strong community. There are many narrow little streets and paths between the houses, allowing residents to walk throughout the neighborhood, whereas in America, I feel that most of the neighborhoods I’ve seen have very wide blocks, unless you’re travelling in certain areas of major cities where they’re a little cramped on space. It’s also very rare in America to see two houses next to each other without a fence or some sort of border between them, which in my opinion, diminishes the sense of community.

When walking through Kliptown, I was very shocked to see their bathroom arrangements. Present within Kliptown are a few bathroom stalls that serve as communal bathrooms for the residents, and as stated by our tour guide, these bathrooms are very problematic because they are often locked preventing residents from actually being able to use them. This is a very drastic change from what we’re used to in America because we are privileged enough to have clean, private bathrooms that most citizens take for granted. Some might see Kliptown’s closely placed houses as an invasion of privacy or a mere lack of space; however, this is the American perspective. To the people of Kliptown, this is simply seen as an opportunity to develop an even stronger community.

I was also shocked at the level of trust present between Kliptown’s residents regarding the movement of children. Nowadays, I feel like it’s very rare to be encouraged to go somewhere alone, and as a result, communities can lose their trust in each other as a result of a sense of fear being distilled into the minds of others. However, in Kliptown, I noticed that while we were walking throughout the township, there was a little boy who followed our group for most of the tour. In America, once someone’s child starts walking in the opposite direction as their parents are, most parents will go to grab their arm and teach them not to do something like that again. I never met the child’s parents, but they must’ve felt that as long as he stayed in the settlement, he was protected knowing that all of the residents look out for each other. Also at one point, our group was standing around listening to the tour guide speak when a little girl, who was initially sitting outside of her house with her mother, came up to one of my classmates and hugged her leg. As children, many of us were taught to have the mentality to not talk to strangers; however, our group can easily be seen as strangers to the families of Kliptown, yet they greeted us with so much compassion.

Personally, I thought this was such a comforting realization. I was under the impression that the people of Kliptown choose to always see the good in others, and during a time like today, this is a very important virtue that should be practiced among people of all nations. The residents of Kliptown may not be rich in personal possessions, but they all strongly possess some of the most important qualities: love, compassion, and trust in others. I strongly believe numerous communities throughout the world can learn something from the people of Kliptown through their unbreakable sense of community.



Comments