Cape Town: First Impressions by Debora Almeida

         After two weeks in Johannesburg, we boarded a plane for Cape Town. While I was excited to go to Cape Town, I was also really sad to be leaving. I had more expectations set for what Cape Town would be like because I knew many people who had been before. So for that reason, I wasn’t expecting to be shocked as much as I was.
         On every first Thursday of the month, downtown Cape Town’s art galleries, restaurants, and boutiques open their doors for the evening for a festive street fair of sorts. I was excited to check out the local art scene on our first night. While I did in fact enjoy First Thursdays, I was shocked to be almost completely surrounded by white people.
         Johannesburg’s population is 73 percent black, 6 percent colored, and 16 percent white. We often found ourselves, both in class and outside of class, in majority black spaces. Even when we did go to neighborhoods that are predominantly white in Johannesburg, it felt really strange and almost wrong. This is just a feeling I am going to have to learn to grapple with because of Cape Town’s racial demographics being so radically different from Johannesburg. Cape Town is 9 percent black, 45 percent colored, and 43 percent white.
         How I first felt in Cape Town’s First Thursdays reminded me so much of Sandton and Melrose Arch. Both of these places had a posh and exclusive environment. Because we spend all day enveloped in thoughts about inclusion and exclusion, it’s hard to simply enjoy First Thursdays for what it is without thinking about it in the context of a post-Apartheid society.
On one of our first days we went to the V&A Waterfront development after biking along the coastline. That was a really interesting experience because, again like Sandton City mall, it felt it could have been anywhere else in the world. It was a beautiful, luxurious shopping along a pier that I enjoyed, but again I felt strange about being in a highly commercialized space design for tourists and the wealthy. But, of course with a place this beautiful, a tourism infrastructure is inevitable and also a good source of income for the city.

Someone at a bar in Johannesburg told me he didn’t like Cape Town because it was too perfect and now that I’m here I understand what he means. It has one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen, but as we learned its landscape is what made it even easier for the Apartheid government to segregate people. White people were able to stay in the beautiful coastal neighborhoods by the beach and the cosmopolitan downtown city bowl. While, black and colored people were moved out to the cape flats far from the central business district and in horrible conditions. Even 20 years post-Apartheid, those facts remain almost unchanged. The racial makeup of each neighborhood is still pretty similar to what it was in the past. For example, we are staying in the Sea Point neighborhood. It is a beautiful area by the ocean with incredible views of Lion’s Head Mountain. While it has been getting more diverse with time, it still remains at 67 percent white and 25 percent black and colored. We have also heard a lot about the rising costs in the area that could continue to make it inaccessible to people. Many of these feelings I have are conflicting but that is simply the nature of life.






By Debora Almeida

Comments