When
I decided to go on a dialogue, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to study.
These two classes being the only electives that I get to take as a nursing
major, I wanted to choose something that I had never studied and would never
have the opportunity to. With that came nerves, I had the feeling that if I
went on a dialogue having no knowledge of the subjects that people might think
I’m dumb, or I wouldn’t get good grades in the class, or that I would be
confused the entire time. However, I decided to go for it and take a chance by
going to South Africa having never learned a single thing about Sociology. I
did not even know what apartheid was, or anything about townships, I did not
even know that much about the country itself. I was scared of so many things
before coming, but I could not have made a better decision.
Upon
arriving in Johannesburg, I quickly fell in love with the city. However, after
our first few days I just remember feeling constant confusion about what the
heck people were talking about. I felt that I was getting bits and pieces of
concepts we were studying but I was so confused about how it all fit together
or what the big picture was. I remember getting more nerves that I had felt
before coming here, worried that I would always be too scared to participate
because I was scared that I would say something stupid or offend anyone.
As
we saw more and more, and after many discussions, the confusion never went
away, but what came from the confusion was constant thinking and reflection. I remember
there were some nights in Joburg where I would actually not be able to fall
asleep because I was trying to piece ideas together or reflecting on what we
had seen that day. This made me more and more engaged as the days went on as I
was eager to be able to understand a lot of the things we were studying. I
found that I was learning more than I had ever had in such a short amount of
time. It was exhausting, but very worth it.
One
of my favorite days in Johannesburg was our first day in Soweto, I had so much
confusion about townships, I had never seen one before and I had no idea what
to expect, which made me kind of nervous. It ended up being my favorite days
because that was the first time that I really got to see how kind and welcoming
the people of South Africa really are. I never thought that township tourism
would be welcome. These people live completely different lives than we do back
home. It was amazing getting to hear stories from locals and different perspectives
from a new culture. Every time we went into a township they all had the same
sense of “Ubuntu” or togetherness that they live. It was admirable that people
enjoy living in townships for that sense of community and family.
Johannesburg
ending up becoming one of my favorite cities that I had ever visited, I was
incredibly sad to leave, but so thankful for all the experiences that we got
while there. We had friends to say goodbye to on that last night and I just remember
feeling so sad that I had no idea when I was going to see them again, if ever.
I learned so much from them not only about the city of Johannesburg, but about African
culture and way of living. It reminded me of a quote someone told me right
before leaving my last study abroad in Greece; “Your heart will never be at
home ever again, that is the price you pay for the richness for loving and
knowing people in more than one place.”
When
we arrived in Cape Town, I could not have been more shocked. I did not feel
like we flew two hours, I felt like we flew all the way home to the United
States and were in LA or Miami. I had never felt that sort of culture shock in
my life. I felt uncomfortable there, like something wasn’t right. I remember feeling
confused again, about how is it possible that the two cities could be so
different. That feeling got better, but never completely went away after
studying a lot of messed up things about it. I thought it was valuable when
Liza told us in Johannesburg that she did not want people who had never studied
these issues before to think that they only existed in South Africa and that it
was such a messed up country, because these problems exist everywhere, even
back home. That really spoke to me because I do remember feeling that way, that
this place had so many issues and so many of it was messed up.
That
feeling and the confusion that started in Johannesburg did eventually go away,
after being able to reflect and keep learning about everything. I found myself feeling
what I knew what I was talking about. And the question people asked, “What are
you studying here?” got easier to answer. I was able to make so many
connections to back home in what we were learning about so South Africa was no
longer a “messed up” place, it was just a place that I came to love just as
much as the people who live there. Looking back on the whole trip the thing I
remember most is the amazing people we got to meet and talk to, who had the
most incredible stories. I will come home with a new perspective on life, and
to be grateful for what I have, knowing the true power of kindness, and
sometimes you are making more of an impact than you think by just doing the
little things. I will now look at cities differently, I feel like I know how to
analyze spaces and how they are used and for who. All of the things we learned
were so incredibly valuable to everyday life. I did not expect to learn as much
on this trip as I did. I will return home having broadened my knowledge, with
new perspectives, more culturally aware, a new look on education and privilege.
It has made me question in what I actually want to major in and what I want to
eventually do with my life. The world feels bigger to me now, and I know there
is so much to learn and see. I can only hope for the chance of doing another dialogue.
Whenever
you are about to leave a place, you get a really strange feeling, its after you
completely fall in love with a place. You’ve met amazing friends, gotten to see
a new place, and you have grown as a person more than you ever thought you would.
There is always the thought that you may never come back ever again, even if
you want to. I can only hope that I have the chance to come back to this place
that gave me so much. After much time of reflection, I think it would be valuable
to come back and see how things have changed and how my thoughts on everything
we talk about have developed. I do not think I will ever stop thinking about
the experiences we have had here, as they really do apply to everything.
For
the past few days I really have tried to think about what the “Right to the
City” really means. I have a billion ideas but still not a definite answer. I
think it will be something that I am going to have to think about for many
months even years to come. I could not have asked for anything more on this
trip, it has been the trip of a lifetime, I am so thankful for what I have
gotten to see, the people I got to meet, and the knowledge and experiences that
I will bring home to share.
Chloe DiMare
Comments
Post a Comment